We need a Federal Jobs Guarantee and Federal funding to train and position American for a robust new economy that will grow from our needed transition from fossil fuels to renewables, from polluting energy to real, clean energy, and from ravishing our environment to saving our planet.
We need to establish a new Works Progress Administration (WPA) to
- train and hire Americans to repair roads, bridges, dams, schools, parks and myriad other crumbling national infrastructure projects
- give them the same benefits earned by veterans
- give work to actors, musicians and and other artists to make sure American citizens in every part of our country are getting access to the arts
- invest in historians, archeologists and other scholars to do the important work of preserving and documenting America’s story
- established a youth program for national service like the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) for reforestation and natural rehabilitation
Science tells us we only have a decade to transition from our current, polluting, energy, building, and transportation systems––and the economies surrounding them––to keep the planet habitable. The scope of that crisis requires a Federal jobs program like the WPA and the CCC.