We cannot allow ourselves to be divided by anti-immigrant and xenophobic hysteria.
America has always been a haven for the oppressed. We must embrace the historic role of the US as a protector of vulnerable people fleeing persecution. We need an immigration policy that stops the criminalization of communities of color and keeps families together.
We must implement humane and secure immigration policies.
We need to:
- Dismantle inhumane deportation programs and detention centers.
- Pave the way for a swift and fair legislative roadmap to citizenship for the 11 million undocumented immigrants.
- Ensure our borders remain secure while respecting local communities.
- Regulate the future flow of immigrants by modernizing the visa system and rewriting bad trade agreements.
- Expand DACA and DAPA.
- Provide expansive relief to DREAMers.
- Implement the “Best Interests of the Child” standard.
- Protect immigrant workers exercising their rights.
- Employ humanitarian parole to reunite families.
- End for-profit detention.
- Propose budgets with smart, targeted enforcement that establishes a reasonable and fair wait for citizenship.
- Minimize financial penalties and fees.
- Assure 21st Century border resources are used efficiently and effectively.
- Reject piecemeal border enforcement.
- Protect the legal rights of immigrant workers and expand their pay.
- Operate smart and fair employment verification.
- Reduce health care costs for all.
- Ensure access to asylum for persecuted immigrants.
- Keep families together.
- Reduce border deaths.