The War on Drugs has racist beginnings and has led to an incarceration rate five times higher than in the early 1970s when we had the same low crime rate as today.
Colorado led the nation when we ended the prohibition on marijuana and taxed and regulated it. It’s time for the Federal Government to join us and legalize marijuana.
Drug and alcohol addiction are an illness.
- we must treat and rehabilitate abusers not jail them.
- help people stay with their families and be productive members of their communities
- devote a portion of tax monies from legal drugs like marijuana and alcohol for education and treatment programs
- people with non-violent criminal records like marijuana possession should have their records expunged
- we need Federal legalization of marijuana so businesses like ours in Colorado can bank legally and invest our communities
We also need to abolish the practice of prisons for profit nationwide, where corporate entities have profited on the backs of our most disadvantaged citizens for far too long.