The need for real campaign finance reform is an issue that should concern all Americans regardless of their political point of view. When a handful of wealthy people and special interest groups are able to “buy” elections and politicians in exchange for access and influence, the “voice” of the majority is diminished and we can no longer call ourselves a “representative” democracy.
What we can do about it:
- Fight to pass a constitutional amendment overturning Citizens United and make it clear that Congress and the states have the power to regulate money in elections.
- Fight for a publicly financed, transparent system of campaign financing that amplifies small donations, along the lines of the Fair Elections Now Act.
- Insist on complete transparency regarding the funding of campaigns.
- Fight to eliminate super PACs and other outside spending abuses.
- Work to aggressively enforce campaign finance rules.